Thursday, October 29, 2009

What would you do?

I have a co-worker who recently found out they were pregnant, he was so thrilled, unfortunately they didn't know prior to 3 months and they missed their first round of blood work and check ups, they went right into the ultrasound, then bloodwork.

2 weeks ago they received a call from their doctor (personally) saying he must speak with them. He called them at home and left the message, it was not until the next day while they were at work they connected with him.

The baby's mom was going into a conference to speak when she got the call.

The doctor explained that their graphs and points along with bloodwork is indicating there might be a problem with the baby.

That was all we knew that day.

They met with the doctor and it was explained they have a 1:200 chance of having an abnormal (downs) baby.

OMG! Mom is 30 years old, dad is 31, they are young, no history of this in their families......

They went on Monday for a 2nd ultrasound (3D with Dr. Butt) and she did not diagnose them any better, they now have a 1:36 chance. She says the indicators are on the lower part of the scale but not incapeable.

They were offered to do the amniosenticis (sp?) taking the fluid from the sac.

They refused.

They are going to wait until the baby boy is born and love him no matter what.

I could cry.

They are extremely positive and have made their decision.

No sense in knowing one way or the other, more time to think and worry. Why not expect the baby to be a baby and what may come will come?

What would you do?

4 comments:

LadyLipgloss said...

I've heard countless stories where a family was told the same thing, that their baby may have Down's, they decided to go ahead with the pregnancy and love the baby no matter what and then the baby was born perfect with no issues.

You just never know. I would have done the same as the family you're talking about. Love the child because it's yours, in spite of its (potential) defects.

Hollee said...

I would cry...and after that - I really don't know.

b.c. Gurl said...

I would cry first, then do exactly as they are doing. I was at high risk with Xander, but I refused the triple screen test to find out (it was likely that it would come back as 'positive' and that i'd be offered an amnio, which I didn't want, so I just didn't do the bloodwork)-- we made a decision together that whoever comes that's what we get, we'd love him or her no matter what. I think I would make peace with knowing that I was having a downs baby - learn everything I possibly could about it so that I was prepared and help to prepare friends and family as well.

Queen Mel said...

Wow Anita, I didn't know.....