Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Crazy People

I just got back from lunch and it began like this...

I ran over to the bank, I was there the other day but couldn't find a parking spot so I left. So I went today and found a spot I could "pull through" to the other spot "hot dog" I thought, in the vehicle beside me were 2 children roughly ages 2 and 5 (2 boys), all windows were down and no mom anywhere, so I sat there for like 5 minutes while the oldest boy who could unstrap himself from his car seat tormented his brother or the other boy (no idea if related or not). I decided I'd run into the bank, as I got up to the teller I mentioned it to her and she didn't seem to concerned, I was in there for 5 minutes.

I came back out and the oldest boy has a chunk of wood that he is swinging around, now keep in mind I am parked beside them, I could have reached out and nabbed the peice of wood from him (I wanted to but didn't). So I sat there for 10 more minutes waiting for someone to to come to them. I debated on whether I should have called 9-1-1, is it illegal to leave kids in the car?

I think it is? So I sat there a total of 20 minutes and they were there before me!

So I left, I called a co-worker and she said you should have called! For the love of...so I went to do my last errand and came back 15 minutes later and they were gone, I was going to block the vehicle in and call but they were gone.

Should I have called 9-1-1? Is it illegal to leave children unattended? It was a hot day, all the windows were down? I just don't know, but I do know its wrong!

8 comments:

Hollee said...

I'll admit - I leave Maddie & Jacob in the car from time to time, but I've got a 5 minute limit. If Madeline's in the car, I *MIGHT* leave sophia with her...but I have to be able to see them from inside teh gas station/tim hortons. 2 & 5 are Waaaay too young to be left unattended. the 5 year old could spring himself or worse yet...someone else could grab them an take off!! Oh Gawd - I totally would have called.

Anonymous said...

If it's not illegal....IT SHOULD BE!!!!

I came across the same situation before and I was all prepared to call when I came out of the store, but the car was gone.

Stupid People!!!!!!

Tina said...

That scares the crap out of me!! I'm not sure if it's illegal but it is definitely wrong, anybody could have taken those kids. Where were the parents?? And for over 20 minutes? Brooke is 4 and she can undo her own seatbelt and unlock the doors. The only time I've left Brooke in the car is when I've gone in to pay for my gas and I can see her the whole time.

Sunny said...

It is absolutely illegal. A child is never to be left inside a car alone for any amount of time. Especially in our times where children are so easily stolen from us in the wink of an eye. Yes, you can lock the doors but that isn't going to stop someone from taking them if they really want them. Not only that it is dangerous to leave a child in a car unattended for safety reasons.
As for those of you who leave your kids in the car to pay for gas you may want to consider full service or take them with you. At Tim's go through the drive thru.
You were right to be concerned for these kids. I would have been in the same situation wondering whether or not I should have called and than wishing I'd called after the fact.
Those parents are morons!!!!!

Sunny said...

I should have put "then" instead of "than". Sorry, I should have known better :)

gypsybug said...

Whether it is illegal or not, you would never forgive yourself if something happened. I will sometimes leave Emily in the car but even though she is 10, really any pervert could grab her...maybe I should rethink this even for her!

NickyT said...

sounds like the ages of the little boys who were left in the car that time when our roof was getting shoveled off. what did the car look like?

Queen Mel said...

LOL, thats right, I did think of you.....even tried calling you.

It was a Jeep Liberty, it was a newer vehicle. Brown in color.