DISCLAIMER: to all the teachers reading this please don't think I'm being critical, its just funny........
No school today, how awesome is that? I know awesome!
But I only have one thought that rolls around in my head.......when we went to school the teachers never expressed interest in school being cancelled except for when tests were missed, they would say well since you all missed your test yesterday you get 0. Her joke was not funny!
My biggest fear was to have a child who hated or disliked school and did not want to attend.
So lets jump to last evening in our home when my daughter comes out with her PJ's worn inside out.
Me: Why are your PJ's inside out (snickering to myself)
her: Because our teachers said we should and to do the no school tomorrow dance
Me: oh really, do you hope school is cancelled tomorrow?
her: oh yeah so I can stay home and do nothing
Me: so missing out on school work is ok?
her: well my teachers don't mind
Me: well what if I mind?
her: if school is cancelled are you going to make me go, mom there won't be anyone there (whining voice)
Me: no I won't make you go but I'm suprised you'd not want to work on math and spelling?
her: well I do I just don't want what the teachers want - no school.
Me: yeah I can see how that is important
So my child wants to please her teachers by trying to do follow their tribe ritual of school canceling? Her homework book even had written in it "no school dance, PJs"
How does this make sense, I know some might think I'm being silly but stop and think about it.
Our kids are receiving a negative connotation about coming to school and that it should be cancelled.
I find it very ironic is all, I'm not criticizing (sp?) but does it sound as absurd to you as it does me?
3 comments:
Um, yeah. I couldn't imagine doing that! If cancellation gets mentioned in my classroom, it's by my kids and is always met with "well, you never know". There's enough negativity around education, it certainly doesn't need to be reinforced by the educators.
Oh, and for the ones who think teachers get a "free day", they should take a look at the load of stuff most teachers bring home when cancellation is being predicted...
Thank you Kim for saying what I wanted you to say.....she just came home with so much enthusium about school being cancelled it disturbed me just a little.
The fact you mention that the teachers work on the day off - I had a co-worker say to me yesterday that she doesn't know how the teachers worked it into their contract that they don't work on these days and I said "oh I know of teachers who take work home" and she said "maybe".....I know some teachers did but I didn't know if they all did but thank you for pointing that out.
I feel better now - except the fact her teachers are having her write in her agenda - good grief!!!
But on a positive note, DD said to me last night when she came out with her PJs on "no way I'm wearing them wrong tonight, I want to go back tomorrow I got too many fun things to do"....that made me feel sooooo much better! *sigh*
I'd be more worried that the teacher is promoting voo-doo! lol
Post a Comment