Monday, June 15, 2009

Holy Fudgee O's

I am so happy to see school ending. Oh My Goodness!

This year I signed on to be the class Den Mother.......I "thought" it was going to be shared but apparently all the other mom's were super smart and steered clear of that duty.....SMART thinkin' mom's.

Well its a memo I never got - until after I signed up, my Director laughed at me and said "your going to be sorry for doing that".....and she was right......I am.

On Wednesday my daughters class is having a cafe day where the children will be displaying their writing abilities to the parents. The teachers asked me 2 weeks ago if I would contact the class' parents and ask them to contribute items such as coffee grinds, tea bags, juices and assorted pastries......

As per usual I sent out the voice mail to everyone on the list who does not have ROGERS numbers, because those who do cannot accept Voice Mails.....nice! Those people I have to call individually because heaven forbid each person have an e-mail address they keep.

and....as per usual...the same 5 moms called me right away to donate goodies and drinks. Unfortunately this time we are looking at having enough treats for 60 people rather than 30 so we needed the majority of parents to each bring in a little something.

You would think I was asking for their right arm. I had to leave another voice mail "reminding" the parents to contact me, 2 more did - great. I printed off little notes for each child to take home - that rendered nothing - nada I say nada! These parents are impossible!!!

On Friday I asked the teachers if what I had would be enough and they asked me to call more parents (I knew they were going to - groan).....do you know who called me?

2 of the moms who already were donating offering to bring in more.....I told them their offers were more than generous and that I would keep them in mind but I really wanted other parents to help out as well....yes I am determinded I must say....

Tonight I called 6 other parents.....do you know what one mom said...well I'm moving and I can't contribute.....I said "are you coming", she said "oh yes"...I said "great you can swing by the grocery store on your way"....she said "um ok I guess so"......are you kidding me?

One other mom said "well my child is autistic"......oh sorry I didn't realize having an autistic child stopped you from eating or going to the corner store for treats? WTF?

But I have one better.....a parent said to me "I was going to call you back and donate something but I just couldn't think of anything to bring that would be acceptable"...oh really? I say "actually you could pick up a lemon loaf or blueberry loaf and that would be perfect"....she said "well ok if I can find one".....

Oh My Gawd! I thought I might lose it......if nothing else this year has taught me to leave that shit up to someone else......I'll always contribute - unlike some parents I know....good grief Charlie Brown!!!!

6 comments:

The Original Princess said...

Suckaaaaahhh!

Queen Mel said...

thanks for your warm comfy feelings....NOT...

LOL

I got what I deserved for signing up.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Yeah, there's no excuse for parents not to contribute. Even if you have money problems. If each parent contributed at least once a school year, that would be great, it wouldn't kill their budget, and it wouldn't fall on the same moms to do it every time.

The mother of the autistic child got me the most .... is your child in the classroom with all the other children? Will your child be at the cafe do? Will YOU be going? If any of those questions elicited a "yes", THEN YOU SHOULD CONTRIBUTE. Or get your kid out of the class.

Hell, that goes for any kid. It takes 10-15 minutes of effort to go to the store and pick something up. Isn't your child worth that much?

Sorry, in a ranty, bad mood right now.

Queen Mel said...

for that mom the autistic child is her younger child, not the one in the class, he has therapy 3 times a week too, which I don't care to know but whatever....I'd rather someone just say no than to try to make excuses.....I feel bad for the little fella who is NOT autistic, bet he gets a lot of attention at home eh?

See there are a lot of functions throughout the year and I contributed to everything, I spent under $10 each time, I could have spent less but chose not to.

With 27 kids in the class you would think 5-6 parents could take a turn but it never happens that way.

NickyT said...

I think the idea of a Den Mother for the classroom is a great idea.

However, it can backfire when the Hens in the class don't pull their own.

What gets me is that it is for their OWN CHILD to celebrate or have a class activity! It isn't a fundraiser where the monies get dispersed throughout the school.

People will always continue to stump me with their stupidity.