Its that time of year again when I become coach to 25 kids in the community. I'm looking forward to it, although we have a over abundance of 4 year olds so that will take some getting use to but we'll manage.
We've decided that more parents on the field at all times is very important and as you know I am not shy to pull parents off the bench to lend a helping hand.
I've already been contacted about playing a game or two with communities close by, they heard how great out program was last year and invited us to get together with their teams, I'm sure our kids will be pleased with that.
I know for some people they really think we pull this out of a hat and make it run by doing nothing but I have to say we (the coaches) put a lot of hours and time into making the 8 weeks run smoothly and ensure the kids are learning what they are suppose to learn, along with other fundamentals and above all having a good time.
Last year our best skill drill was having them toss water balloons to one another to teach them to be gentle when tossing the ball, give them the sense of touch. So this year I have already purchased 1800 water balloons, we only had 500 last year so we used the drill only once then at the end of the season BBQ we paired all of the families up and gave them balloons to throw at each other, it sure works well on a hot night. So the kids are going to have a blast with those. The funny part is they don't realize they are learning valuable skills......even when they whip the balloon at us or mom & dad they are learning target practice as well :o)
I enjoy doing this for the kids and to see their smiling faces even at the end of each practice, they have all got a turn, had some fun and earned a lot of praise.
Lets Play Ball!!!!
1 comment:
Keeping kids healthy and happy should be every parents goal. Good job Mel!
Post a Comment