Thursday, July 31, 2008

Kids

I have to shake my head sometimes at kids and their parents.

Why is it when we buy a gun we need to fill out paperwork, or when we learn to drive we need to write a test? Build a house, we need a permit, we the people need to verify and be "approved" to do whatever we do but for reasons beyond me nobody requires approval to have children!

It does make me wonder. The other night at practice this one child who creates a lot of havoc from time to time; every time the kid was told to stop his belly would hurt, the kid did this last week. Its a step up from last year when he cried every single time. But this kid starts everything. There were 2 of them last night grabbing and hitting back and forth, I caught them and in my drill sargeant voice said "get atta that, I don't want to catch you too hitting on this field ever again, you got me". They both just looked at me and said "yes", I turned my back and one of them took his glove and WHACK! Smacked the other in the head!

I went over and that was that, took his hand and sat him on the side! They were warned and told what would happen, the kid says "my belly hurts", I said "you'll get over it, if you puke, don't puke on yourself, you are being punished for not listening and hitting someone else, that is not nice at all, that kid is your team mate".

You know what he said "I don't like him". I went back over and sat down beside him and said "big deal, there are going to be kids who don't like you either, do you want them to hit you in the head?", kid says "well no", I say "then why is it ok for you to hit in the head?", kid says "its not". I say "thats right, you have no right to hurt someone else, you don't want to get hurt and neither do they, if you don't like them then don't go near them, you got into trouble for something you did, not him, you hit him because YOU don't like him, are ya havin' fun sitting here?", he says "no". I say "you sit here, I'll be back for you, think about what you did and how you can do better".

This kid has a lot going on in life and its sad, I know this but for heaven's sake, stop bringing problems on yourself at the very least!

Its that ol "your own worst enemy" syndrome.

In the end when I went over the kid apologized and I asked what was learned, kid says "I shouldn't hit people unless they hit first". I said "get out on the field and go play".
Hey! He wasn't totally wrong? I gotta give him kudos for at least figuring out that, right?

No comments: