This morning on the 6am news they told a story about 2 underage kids who were doing smash and grabs in the New Maryland area along with other crimes. The two children could not be named and blah, blah, as well as they didn't receive much as a punishment.
I know some of you may not agree with me, and I have a young offender in my own family and this is my stand on it.
A criminal is a criminal and I don't really care what age they are at, the Youth Criminal Act is ridiculous. Do you know how many times my family member "got off" with stuff. They barely receive a slap on the hand, some were even as bold to say "look out when they become adults", oh yeah, well maybe if they were dealt with as kids our justice system would actually do its name good and we'd all have "justice".
The fact they won't name the kids is another beef of mine.
If these kids have done something bad enough to have to go in front of a judge (under our tax dollars) then they should be named and they should be punished. I'm sick and tired of everyone getting off scott free.
So when it does come to law abiding citizens we get nailed to the wall (in my opinion).
I'm not asking you to agree or disagree, I'm just saying damn it will anyone do anything about what the kids are doing?
I'm trying to teach my kid that there is a consequence to every action, then I turn around and see kids getting off with smash and grabs? Doesn't add up?
I know I am exagerating but really its bad, very bad. The kid criminals eventually turn into adult criminals and the crimes get worse and worse, to be honest the adult system is just as bad.
I know a young woman who is up for sentencing in 2 weeks time on killing someone in a car accident from last year, she is 24 or 25, 2 small children, she was driving while under the influence of Coke and alcohol, killed one of the people in the car with her, the family is "oh its a shame, the kids family forgave her", they weren't too impressed when I said "but she did the crime she has to do the time", her grandfather said "yep your right she does".
Unfortunately her 2 small children may lose their mom for 2-5 years but hey, them's the breaks. She did the crime and now everyone has to pay. (she has since lost her job as she was working for in a financial setting)...its what I mean when I say there are consequences to every action, sometimes a lot more than you ever thought.
4 comments:
OH don't get me started on this topic...lets just say that I agree with you Mel and leave it at that!!!
I agree 100%!!! By the way those two underage little brats most likely live across the street from me. I'll give you their names any time you want. I say lock them up and throw away the key. People shouldn't be able to get away with it just because they are underage. Parents of criminal kids should also for forced to do time as they are obviously not doing their job.
As a one-time young offender myself, I agree that if you do the crime you do the time. It only took that one time to scare me into sticking on the right side of the law. However, I don't agree with you on releasing names. I'm not exactly my stance on why I feel that way, but it's more to do with kids not getting that stigma attached to them. I dunno, that just how I see it.
Thats ok ladylipgloss, I know tons of people don't agree with me on that, I understand. :o)
Eggs - after reading your post this week about it I laughed and thought could of been them.....oh boy!
Jen - its frustrating to say the least.
And I'm not saying my way is correct, its just my solution to the problem. If I had it my way those kids and their parents would be punished. The sad part is, its a vicious cycle.
Post a Comment