OMFG! That child, that child, that child......why the hell are kids so much of a fuckin' pain in the fuckin' ASS?
That child thought she could break me down, she really absolutely did! What a dumb notion that was. Totally dumb, she only pissed me off more. You can't win, resistance is futile.
It has not been 1 month since school started and DD has pulled out all the stops in one evening.
Let me set the scene...
Monday night, in my kitchen, at the table - for 2 fuckin hours!!!
Homework for the week consists of 3 double sided sheets of work (2 math, 1 literacy), 5 spelling words, and 10 mins of reading every day. Thats it - for the week!
So on Monday night I say...choose 1 sheet to do (she did - Math). She completes the first side with a little bit of encouragement required.....great...the 2nd side, the first 3 items were easy, counting by 1, filling in the blanks. It was the next 3 questions that caused all the problems.....the first one said: Count by 2's from 12 to 22, then Count by 10's from 30 to 90, lastly count backwards from 60 to 35 by 5's.
Now that last one, took 40 minutes!!! Yep 40 minutes. Do you know how pissy I get with 40 minutes of fighting? Super Pissy! She was not willing to try, not willing to talk about it, nothing. When I finally said:
Mom: "you know what I would do? I would take a scrap peice of paper and go forwards, you can count 35-60 right?"
DD: Yes
Mom: Then do that
DD: Wah but that won't work either
Mom: why not
DD: Cuz it won't be backwards
Please someone shoot me in the fucking eyeball please!!!!
She ended up with 2 time outs, 2!
She lost TV, she lost me reading to her, she lost EVERY FUCKING THING!
I became very nasty and made her do more, more, more...you want to fight and be a big PITA for a battle you will ultimately lose then you will pay the piper in dividens.
So I spoke with her teacher yesterday. She was apauled by the reaction I told her I received over the homework. Of course she was.....because little miss cherub isn't like that right? WRONG!
I even told her I thought DD didn't deserve her reading level either. Her reading is terrible.
The teacher verified that DD can read very well, she is a "star" at math and literacy and is in the very top of her class. Although she does not take her time to ensure quality and pride into her work. That was the ONLY thing the teacher wants from her...what?
This lazy kid at home is a star at school? WTF? Someone save me.
So last night the child did her homework with her father, whom I warned if she makes one side remark no TV no Brownies...Last week he took away TV and let her earn it back all within 15 minutes...yes Genius that was a stellar performance!!!! Way 2 Go! totally worked - NOT! He was given the death sentence if he so much as fucked up this homework review.
I have Good News to report! The child saved her life last evening and completed all her work in the 20 minutes alloted for homework, she kept her TV for bed, she went to Brownies and cuddled with us before bed.
Tonight, round 2....we'll see how it goes. I will break that child down if its the last thing I do, she will do her homework and she will do it right!!! That I promise her!
3 comments:
We have been having the same issues with our eldest. 40 minutes to write one sentence! We talked to the teacher and she said if it hasn't happened after 20 minutes leave it for a while and come back to it. Just keep her updated on what is going on if he isn't able to complete his homework by the end of the week. So I hear ya!! It is VERY frustating!
That was what the same teacher instructed us to do last year and I thought ok let her figure it out herself. That didn't work so now she is on board with us saying make her do it and losing valuable possessions is a great motivator along with her saying "if all else fails, tell her she can spend recess with me (the teacher)". Yep this kid is fighting a losing battle! Bwahahahaha!
Last year Ty's teacher told me if I was spending more than 30 mins fighting with him about doing his homework just close his book. That's right, just close his book and walk away. I would then a write her a note as to why it wasn't done and she wold keep him in at recess. She said it wouldn't take missing too many recesses for him to start doing his homework!
Hope things keep improving for you guys!
Jolene
Post a Comment