Saturday, September 19, 2009

My Confession - I am such a Sinner!!!

Forgive me Friends for I have sinned this early in the morning......

I lied to my daughter.

Yes I lied to her.

She wanted to know about the clip on baby Wesley's belly (her teacher from last year had a baby - she sent in pictures).

I told her that is how mom & baby are connected, that is how the baby gets nourishment, blood and everything they need to survive while inside mommy. When the baby is born that cord is cut off which makes that big clip on there, it falls off in a few day and vola - a belly button. (The story should have ended at this point but oh no.....)

B:Where does the rest of it go?

Me:Rest of what?

B: The Imbilical Cord? Do you keep it.

Me: Yes some of it.

B: Where did they put the cord back mom?

Me: Into my belly.

B: So I came out of your stomach?

Me: Yes

B: They cut open your stomach?

Me: Well....yeah?

B: I came out of your stomach, they cut the cord and they put it back inside you? Did it hurt?

Me: Well you know when you fall off your bike and it hurts, but then 30 minutes later you get back on? Yes

Well its like that, sure it hurts but because I had you I didn't even notice the hurt, it went away.

B: Cool I came out of your belly.

Me: Yep ya did!

************************************************

I thought, if Lee rolls over and calls me out I'm smothering him right then and there.

My heart was beating fast. I was sure she was going to ask for a peek at my scar!

OMG!
OMG!
OMG!

I wasn't ready for the whole "natural birth" talk.

Should I have? Did I play that out wrong? I didn't have time to think?

I didn't feel she cared or needed to know. Babies come out of bellies - period! Right?

3 comments:

b.c. Gurl said...

oh that's just horrible!!! she'll be scarred for life! lol ;) just kidding - I'm sure many more opportunities will come...in fact I'm positive!! just don't do like me and have another baby when she's 8/9!! omg - the QUESTIONS! If you're not comfortable talking about it, maybe get a couple of books that are age appropriate for her for yourself to read, that way when she brings it up again you'll have an idea of how much you want to tell her and some idea as to how to phrase it...I had a really good one, but I can't remember what the name of it is now - but it was very detailed and difinitely didn't leave anything out! I'll look it up for ya :) it won't matter how prepared you are though - they'll always one up ya with some question(or comment) that you weren't expecting!

Dee said...

Mine kind of found out on their own a few years ago when on innocent Mother's Day we were watching TLC and there it was- I mean all of it!!!! Mom was standing up pushing the baby out and the camera was there to catch it all. They were shocked that the baby "came out of her vagina" but that was that. They asked me if it hurt and stuff like that but nothing much left to ask when you see it happening. BTW - it was totally appropriate up til that point and it was totally unexpected that it would be that graphic - no warning at all.

lesly said...

I think a book is a great idea. I have NO idea what I am going to do when that situation arises. I'm totally not prepared. I will dig out ds's Usborn book and see if it would be of any help in this situation :) HUGS!