Friday, August 8, 2008

Nuts!

Its been quite a week to say the least, a test of many things.

The good news is my friend does not have a tumor, they ruled that out yesterday through a lumbar puncture and yes they are extremely painful, she was in a lot of pain last night, they kept her overnight for observation. The bad news was she had a large amount of "extra" or built up fluid on her brain causing the swelling and pressure so they removed a huge amount, which in my opinion seemed to be a little too much but it certainly explained the brain cracking headache she had.

I spent a few hours in the hospital with she and her hubby last evening and I'm confident I kept their mind off of the obvious stress they are experiencing. Between trying to get her hubby to pick through the "soiled linen's" bin and figuring out how we could make her bed in a tent (since she was in the hall), and then promising to tickle her she was laughing at least and forgot about the pain at some parts.

Now she gets a little nasty when her hubby and I get going.......we were trying to diagnose others in there, we were convinced one guy has sleep apnea (sp?) his convulsing gave it away. One lady had the sheriff coming for her but in the end they took her up to "the floor" from what we heard. Being beside the nurses station is very informative. Also when the "customer service" is unbelieveable, we had every single nurse (who let me say were all super nice to us) ask each time they went by if my friend was ok, they ordered extra dope for her and everything. None for us, we tried. :o)

In the end, test results are not in yet but this fluid they removed is very important and it is being tested for everything and (fingers crossed) it will explain a lot of things and remove a lot of doubt.

She is headed home today, (home, home) and that is a good thing, she misses her kids and she is going to be sore and have her headache for a little longer.

I am so thankful she is in my life and that I have her, the thought of almost losing her was too much to bear. You have no idea how many times it crossed my mind this week that I wish she and I were "blood sisters" but just having her is good enough.

2 comments:

Hollee said...

You're a great friend Mel. You and April are lucky to have one another :)

Queen Mel said...

thank you! I have to say I think I got the better end of the deal. We are just like sisters, we've argued and not agreed but in the end, I can't stay mad at her :o)