I know this is going to sound so "jessie" from BB 10 but I'm sick and tired of not getting any respect! What does a person have to do, stand on my head and spit quaters, PhD maybe?
This entire weekend has been nothing but a downer, first my mom's family messed up plans and then tried to pin them on me, yeah I'm the one who still has my memory their senior citizens.......lets not forget that! Oh right, you forgot! Then they laughed about it and didn't even say they were sorry, oh thats right because that word doesn't exsist in your dictionary.
I've got a 6 year old who thinks she 16 and acts like it. Well that got squashed super fast because I was pissed! Every eye roll, every talk back, anything close to disrespect bought her a one way ticket to her room for 6 minutes. After about 1 hour of that she figured out that she best turn her frown upside down and a little less talk was good for her future of freedom!
Then today, oh today, today did it! I let her go nextdoor to grammy's house, when she came back I put her in the shower and she said to me "I was watching a show with auntie where a man was having his birthday and he was trying to figure out how to kill himself".
I said "what?", so she repeated it. You watched that next door? With Auntie? What? Really?
So I said "I'll be right back" and went to call them on the phone, and she said "yeah", I said "I would rather she not watch big people shows with that type of content, next time turn the channel or turn it off, that would make me a happy camper - ok?"
Get this she says in a condescending voice "yeah". I almost flipped my lid. I am still so very upset. The last person in this world whom I figured would do my child wrong did.
Am I over-reacting? Really am I?
I just don't think watching that is necessary when your 6, why subject a little person to that? Why add to the already jumbled thoughts in their head over stuff?
Honestly, did I over-react? Be honest.
4 comments:
I have to agree with you on all points in this post. Been there done that. Hope she realises you are right sooner rather than later.
Ok - before I comment...PLEEEZE don't throw things!! k??
Ok here goes...No. You did NOT over react! I don't have cable because I saw what a negative effect it was having on my kiddos - buh-bye it went. Over reacting aside, she's YOUR daughter...and if you decide that she's only to watch shows with little blue singing birdies in them - that's your right as her Mom...Now...On to the part where you're going to throw stuff. I know how ticked I get whenever someone works against me on the parenting front...it totally makes my blood boil!! That being said, I do my very very best to wait until my blood is more of a "simmer" before addressing it. My guess would be that they were responding more to your delivery then your message...seriously. At the time, it may not have occurred to her that it was a problem, who knows, but maybe if the same message was delivered a little differently she would have responded differently?? In any case, I don't blame you one bit for being ticked off. I also seriously hope the "6 year old attitude" is a phase...please gawd let it be a phase!! LOL
Hollee I don't deny my delivery may have been harsh but I have to say I can't tolerate hypocracy either, they are the first ones to say "oh she shouldn't watch this or that". Sooooooo! They should know better
Update: Hubby went over to have a chat with them after and their song and dance (as I call it) was "well we've never seen that one before", "we didn't realize", "it just happened". Um yeah when I come across something we are watching that is not kid friendly I immediately scramble for the remote control!
Either way, all is good, just another mommy moment where I had to stand up and say "no"!
You did not overreact. We are very passionate when it comes to our children and we try to shelter them from things that take away their innocence. They should have known better. You were right to say something because too often people don't say anything and then wish they had. I would have said something too.
Stay firm and if they can't handle it that's their problem.
Post a Comment