Saturday, May 16, 2009

Its a Small World after all...

I know we say it time and time again but I truely believe that the 7 degrees of separation is actually true for everyone.

On Tuesday of this week someone from our community took his life. He was a friend of a friend. We have only met him a few times in the past 3 months, had a few drinks with him, laughs, and shot the shit about who knows who, who is related to who and so on. I never knew his last name and he only asked about my husbands family - knowing I wasn't from around "dem der" parts.....

He committed suicide, left a note, left deeds, wills, details for his daughter on his kitchen table. A full tub of coins he was saving for his grand-daughter was there as well. It is all very sad.

His neighbours who are good friends of ours found him, this neighbour has been off work the past 2 weeks due to a lay off and on Tuesday morning he heard gun shots out back, he figured his friend was "shootin' a round off" and he'd better go have some fun with him.....but fun was not what he found, he came across something that none of us ever want to see......his friend dead by his own doing.

The week has been sad, I checked in on our friends this week - the ones who found him, let them know if they need us to care for their young daughter we would. Our other friends...she called just to chat.....as I said we didn't "know" him like they all did but as a community it is sad to see this happen to anyone, he was a very happy guy who recently found himself a bachelor as his girlfriend moved out.....and so this brings me to last night.......

I was reading the weeks newspapers and read the obitiuary for this man.....he is {was} from Parkers Ridge, his last name is a family name of mine, his siblings I know of - from visiting my grandma and hearing my mom talk of her cousins....

My God this man was my relative....a 3rd cousin but when I called my mom to make sure.....I was right, his older siblings all went to school with my aunts and uncles, my mom's youngest sister went to school with him.......

I also have friend who I was talking to about it and she says "OMG Dad rode Harley's with him"....

How sad is it to think that it took reading this man's obituarary in the dang newspaper to find out this information? A man who for the past 2 years lived maybe 5 miles from me was a relative, that neither of us had any clue......that makes me very sad to think it took his life line written in the paper in order to know him........

I mean really, you don't know anyone, you honestly have no idea what they are thinking or feeling and you certainly don't know who knows who......it really is a small world after all.....

No comments: