Friday, August 15, 2008

Its NOT a tumour

I just got word that my friend does not have a tumour, well it is but its not benign.

She has whats called a 'Pseudotumour Cerebri', info about it is....

Pseudotumour cerebri literally means "false brain tumour." It is likely due to high pressure caused by the buildup or poor absorption of cerebrospinal fluid in the subarachnoid space surrounding the brain. The disorder is most common in women between the ages of 20 and 50. Symptoms of pseudotumour cerebri, which include headache, nausea, vomiting, and pulsating intracranial noises, closely mimic symptoms of brain tumours.

I am so relieved and was in tears when she told me, her biggest hurddle is she must lose weight, it is a must, must, must or she could lose her vision.

They are keeping her the weekend to keep an eye on her and make sure her meds are going to keep the spinal fluid from building up in her brain, she should be able to control it with meds but if not she requires to have the shunt put in, which she does not want, it is very dangerous to have, especially living on a remote island.

My belly is doing flip flops and my eyes are stinging, I've been in such a state for 2 weeks that even this information makes me so happy.

Thanks to those of you who inquired and gave me a ear to talk to.

2 comments:

Tina said...

What good news!!!! I'm so glad to hear she's going to be OK!!!

Kimmartha said...

That is wonderful news!! I'm sure she will be able to lose the necessary weight to help her through this! And the meds - will keep my fingers crossed that they all work they way they need to!!